Getting from London to Aberdeen by Bus
How to get to Aberdeen from London with National Express buses
Updated September 2011
You can get from London to Aberdeen (or Aberdeen to London) by taking the National Express coaches. The journey is 12 hours approx for the quickest direct buses. Travelling by National Express is the cheapest way to get from London to Aberdeen with NX funfare tickets (very cheap tickets) starting at £15 one-way. Also check the London - Aberdeen flights page for quicker travel. Also see our Megabus and National Express coaches in-depth guide.
Tickets and timetables for London - Aberdeen coaches.
There are up to 3 coaches a day between London Victoria Coach Station (Buckingham Palace Road) and Aberdeen Bus Station (Guild Street). There is one direct London - Aberdeen overnight bus a day (each way) and an extra direct daytime bus from London to Aberdeen (but not the other way around) while the other coaches are indirect National Express services via Glasgow (1 change). National Express is the only coach company operating direct services between London and Aberdeen although you can travel with Megabus (very very cheap coach tickets) from London to Edinburgh/Glasgow and then from Edinburgh/Glasgow to Aberdeen.
Direct buses from London to Aberdeen (journey time 12 hours approx)
|London to Aberdeen (NX590)
(departs at 09:00, arrives at 21:20)
|1||1||1||1||1||1||1||Book bus ticket|
|London to Aberdeen (NX592, overnight)
(departs at 22:30, arrives at 10:25)
|1||1||1||1||1||1||1||Book bus ticket|
Direct buses from Aberdeen to London (journey time 12 hours approx)
|Aberdeen to London (NX592, overnight)
(departs at 19:00, arrives at 07:10)
|1||1||1||1||1||1||1||Book bus ticket|
NOTE: the schedule of buses may change without notice. Please double check with the National Express for the latest travel times for getting to London or Aberdeen.
There is a late evening (overnight) direct coach between London and Aberdeen (each way) and one morning direct bus from London to Aberdeen. There are no other direct buses other than the National Express services listed above. See below the section on non-direct buses.
Instant fares for cheap flights from Aberdeen to London.
All Aberdeen - London buses (National Express) with service times
- There are no direct daytime buses from Aberdeen to London.
- There is one direct daytime bus from London to Aberdeen (bus service NX590) which departs London Victoria Coach Station at 09:00 (morning) and arrives at Guild Street Bus Station at approx 21:20.
- There is one direct overnight bus from Aberdeen to London (bus service NX592) which departs Guild Street Bus Station at 19:00 and arrives at London Victoria Coach Station at approx 07:10 the following day.
- There is one direct overnight bus from London to Aberdeen (bus service NX592) which departs London Victoria Coach Station at 22:30 and arrives at Guild Street Bus Station at approx 10:25 the following day.
This is basically the direct London - Glasgow coach service extended to travel to Aberdeen.
- There is only one indirect daytime coach from Aberdeen to London (1 change in Glasgow). This is an early morning bus departing Guild Street Bus Station in Aberdeen at 06:35 and arriving in London at 20:20 approx.
- There is only one indirect daytime coach from London to Aberdeen (1 change in Glasgow). This is a morning bus departing Victoria Coach Station in London at 09:00 and arriving in Aberdeen at 22:30 approx.
- There is only one indirect daytime coach from Aberdeen to London (1 change in Glasgow). This is a late evening service Guild Street Bus Station in Aberdeen at 19:00 and arriving in London at 06:50 approx.
- There are no indirect overnight buses from London to Aberdeen.
How long does it take to get from London to Aberdeen by bus
The direct buses take approx 12 hours and 10 minutes (overnight) but the the non-direct London to Aberdeen bus services to Guild Street Bus Station or London Victoria Coach Station include waiting times in Glasgow of around 20 mins and take up to 13 hours and 20 minutes. Given the choice, always go for the direct coach services.
Save up to 75% on
How much does the bus ticket from London to Aberdeen cost
The London - Aberdeen route is a National Express funfare route with bus fares for one-way journeys starting at £15 (check availability now). These cheap bus tickets (non-refundable) are available only online when you book in advance. Funfare prices are only available on direct bus journeys, all the more reason to avoid the coaches which change in Glasgow.
Make sure to book in advance for travel on busy periods like Bank Holidays, Half-Term, Christmas Holidays and New Year's.
National Express bus fares between London and Aberdeen
The cheapest National Express tickets for the London coach are NX funfare tickets but you need to book these in advance.
- Economy Apex single ticket: £45.00
- Standard single ticket: £45.00
- Best Deal, ideal for budget travellers - funfare ticket: from £15
- Standard advance return ticket: £49.50
- Standard return ticket: £65.50
- Best Deal, ideal for budget travellers - combined single NX funfare tickets (£30 cheapest)
NOTE: Ticket prices may change without notice. Please double check with the National Express for up to date coach fares.
Where does the bus between London and Aberdeen stop
Stops for direct buses
You can buy tickets for travel from any of these stops in Scotland or England to London or Aberdeen.
The direct National Express NX590 (only to Aberdeen) bus goes via Glasgow, Perth and Dundee. Full NX590 itinerary: London (Victoria Coach Station), Golders Green Station, Milton Keynes, Carlisle, Hamilton, Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station), Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen.
The direct National Express NX592 bus goes via Carlisle, Glasgow and Dundee. Full NX592 itinerary: London (Victoria Coach Station), London (Heathrow airport), Carlisle, Hamilton, Glasgow (Buchanan Bus Station), Dundee, Aberdeen.
Stops for buses changing in Glasgow (only to London)
Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth, Glasgow (change at Buchanan Bus Station), Hamilton, Carlisle, Milton Keynes, Golders Green Station, London (Victoria Coach Station); or.
Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow (change at Buchanan Bus Station), Abington, Lockerbie, Penrith, Milton Keynes, Golders Green Station, London (Victoria Coach Station).
National Express coach services - Web links
Bus Tickets, Timetables and Journey Planner
Use the form to get timetables and tickets for coach trips from London to Aberdeen or Aberdeen to London and anywhere else in the UK. Alternatively, you can buy your ticket from Aberdeen bus station or London Victoria Coach Station. Remember that the cheapest Aberdeen - London bus tickets (funfare offers) are available ONLY online.
Address of London Victoria Coach Station
Coach Station in London for National Express coaches
164 Buckingham Palace Road
Postcode: SW1W 9TP
Tel: +44 (20) 7730 3466
Address of Aberdeen Bus Station
Coach Station in Aberdeen for National Express coaches
Postcode: AB11 6NJ
Tel: +44 (1224) 597 590
Hotels in Aberdeen or London
Discount Aberdeen hotels and accommodation in the City Centre.
Discount London hotels and accommodation in Central London.
Comments on Attractions in the Aberdeen area, Scotland
Duthie Park Winter Gardens
Waiting for the ferry in Aberdeen we blundered across Duthie Park and the Winter Gardens. Free entry enticed us in (and a loo !). What a surprise - its great. So many plants of all sorts and greenhouses galore. My partner (who's not into plants) thought it was better than the Eden project. Well worth a visit for a few hours.
Kirkhill Forest and Tyrebagger Wood
The woods of Kirkhill and Tyrebagger are easily accesible, situated either side of the dual carriageway. Just a few hundred yards in are the first car parks, which are well looked after by Forest Enterprise. Even this close to the main road, you can't hear or see the cars. They are very peaceful, well managed woods, and it is a real delight to walk the well kept routes that are marked. Not usually very busy, they do see a few dog walker's, runners and cyclists.