Flying from London to Aberdeen
Latest Aberdeen - London Flight Travel Information
Updated September 2011
Cheapest Flights to/from Scotland
Flights from London to Aberdeen are much quicker and convenient than either travelling by train or coach. While the train and bus journeys take an average of 7 and a half hours and 12 hours, respectively, the flight time is under two hours. Even with the time needed for airport transfer, check-in and security control, you still make excellent time compared to travelling by train or bus.
Airlines operating direct London - Aberdeen flights
There are currently six airlines operating direct flights between London and Aberdeen, with only two being cheap, no frills airlines:
- EasyJet - EasyJet is the only low cost airline on this route with flights departing from Luton airport.
- FlyBe - FlyBe is the only low cost airline on this route with flights to Aberdeen Airport departing from Gatwick.
- British Airways - BA, while a far cry from being a low cost airline, operate daily flights to and from Aberdeen from Heathrow Airport.
- bmi - bmi also operate frequent daily flights from Heathrow to Aberdeen International Airport.
- Lufthansa - Lufthansa operate daily flights from London Heathrow to the International Airport in Aberdeen.
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Air France operate connecting (indirect) daily flights from London Heathrow via Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS) and Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to the International Airport in Aberdeen. KLM flights are considerably more expensive as a result but they can come in handy in case of emergencies.
Instant fares for cheap flights from Aberdeen to London.
Aberdeen and London flight times and prices
- The earliest direct morning flights from London depart around 06:30 and land at Aberdeen International Airport at roughly 08:15 in the morning.
- The earliest direct morning flights from Aberdeen towards London's airports depart Aberdeen International Airport at 06:30 and land in London at 08:10 approx.
- The last direct evening flights from London depart around 19:15 and land at the International Airport in Aberdeen at roughly 21:00 in the evening.
- The last direct evening flights from Aberdeen towards London's airports depart the International Airport in Aberdeen at 20:20 and land in London at 22:00 approx.
Getting to Edinburgh by Coach
Long-distance coach tickets to Edinburgh from £15. Guaranteed seats on comfortable coach, overnight or daytime journeys.
The early morning / late evening flights are particularly handy for those on business trips but also for tourists on short breaks who want to make the most of the time they have in London or Aberdeen. Prices for these flights will vary from airline to airline and you may not be able to get the cheapest flight if you absolutely must take an early morning / late evening flight.
Flights between Aberdeen and London take roughly 1 hour and 50 minutes. This is the maximum flight time but most flights take 1 hour and 35-40 minutes approx, provided there are no significant delays on take-off / landing. Weekdays have the busiest flight timetables for all airlines with up to 6 flights taking off every hour in either direction while weekends see some of the early morning flights scrapped.
Flight prices vary significantly from airline to airline, date and time of the day. The cheapest London-Aberdeen flights are with EasyJet, with prices starting at £70 return, if booked far enough in advance.
The time and cost required to get to and from the airports in London and Aberdeen will vary.
Aberdeen Airport Transfer
Aberdeen Airport does not have a rail station, Dyce being the nearest one. The Service 80 Dyce Airlink bus links Aberdeen airport to Dyce rail station where you can take First ScotRail trains into Aberdeen. The trains are frequent, running at least once an hour Monday to Saturday, less frequently on Sundays and the journey time to Aberdeen rail station is about 10 minutes. A single train ticket costs £1.80 while a return costs £2.80.
- The first train from Dyce rail station into Aberdeen is just before 07:00 am while the last train runs at 23:30 approx.
- The first train from Aberdeen rail station to Dyce is at 06:15 while the last train runs at just before 23:00.
The airport is reachable by local buses (First and Stagecoach operators). Aberdeen coach operators include National Express, CityLink and Megabus which call at Guild Street bus station in central Aberdeen, next to the rail station.
London Airports Transfer
There is a wide variety of options to get to and from London's airports (Heathrow, Stansted, Gatwick, Luton and City Airport) including by bus, coach, train and taxi.
Total time to set aside for London-Aberdeen flights
Remember that when flying you also need to set aside time for check-in and transfer to and from the airport. This means that on top of the 1 hour and 40-50 minutes of the actual flight time from London to Aberdeen, you need to factor in another 2 hours at the airport itself and, depending on where you live, maybe another 1-2 hours to get to and from the airport.
Save up to 75% on Accommodation in Aberdeen or London
Aberdeen Hotels near the Train Station
Discount Aberdeen hotels and accommodation in the City Centre.
Discount London hotels and accommodation in Central London.
Comments on Attractions in the Aberdeen area, Scotland
Duthie Park Winter Gardens
Duthie park is lovely, very well kept and in a very nice area of Aberdeen. The winter gardens are very good and yet another attraction in Aberdeen that does not cost anything to see. There is a central outdoor area that you can sit out in if you want on a warm day and this is surrounded by greenhouses with various plants and cacti. We were surprised to see small turtles in the stream that runs down the middle of one of the greenhouses. We spent a pleasant morning there and can thoroughly recommend it.
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
This was a very modern building and free to get in. It has a good view of the Harbour area and the exhibits are very interesting giving the history of Aberdeen. The exhibit I liked best was the oil rig set up and the way you could see how the bunks are arranged and the protective suits you have to wear on the helicopter rides out to the rigs. There are several model boats. There is a good cafe on the lower floor and it has a lift in the building so is very accessible if you are disabled although the building itself is at the bottom of a big hill. There is a good shop inside with very good quality gifts. Altogether a very enjoyable place to visit.