Travel from Leeds to Edinburgh by Coach
How to get to Edinburgh from Leeds with National Express buses
Updated September 2011
You can get from Leeds to Edinburgh (or Edinburgh to Leeds) by taking the National Express coaches. The journey is 7 hours long for the direct buses. Travelling by National Express is the cheapest way to get from Leeds to Edinburgh with NX funfare tickets (very cheap tickets) starting at £9 one-way.
Tickets and timetables for Leeds - Edinburgh coaches.
There are up to 5 coaches a day between Leeds Bus & Coach Station (Dyer St) and Edinburgh Bus Station (St. Andrew's Square). There is only one direct Leeds - Edinburgh bus a day (each way) while the other coaches are all indirect National Express services via Newcastle upon Tyne or Manchester. National Express is the only coach company operating services between Leeds and Edinburgh.
Direct buses between Leeds and Edinburgh (7 hour journey)
|Leeds to Edinburgh (NX383)
(departs at 12:30, arrives at 19:30)
|1||1||1||1||1||1||1||Book bus ticket|
|Edinburgh to Leeds (NX383)
(departs at 09:30, arrives at 16:30)
|1||1||1||1||1||1||1||Book bus ticket|
NOTE: the schedule of buses may change without notice. Please double check with the National Express for the latest travel times for getting to Leeds or Edinburgh.
There are no early morning, late evening or overnight direct coaches between Leeds and Edinburgh other than the National Express services listed above. See below the section on non-direct buses.
Instant fares for cheap flights from Edinburgh to Leeds.
All Edinburgh - Leeds buses (National Express) with service times
- There is only one direct daytime bus from Edinburgh to Leeds (bus service NX383) which departs St Andrews Bus Station at 09:30 and arrives at Leeds Bus & Coach Station at approx 16:30.
- There is only one direct daytime bus from Leeds to Edinburgh (bus service NX383) which departs Leeds Bus & Coach Station at 12:30 and arrives at St Andrews Bus Station at approx 19:30.
There are no direct night buses btween Edinburgh and Leeds.
- There are up to 3 indirect daytime coaches from Edinburgh to Leeds (1 change in Newcastle upon Tyne). The earliest indirect bus departs St Andrews Bus Station at 09:45 while the last daytime bus leaves at 12:30.
- There are up to 3 indirect daytime buses from Leeds to Edinburgh (1 change in Newcastle upon Tyne). The earliest indirect bus departs Leeds Bus & Coach Station at 11:00 while the last daytime bus leaves at 12:30.
- The indirect overnight buses from Edinburgh to Leeds (1 change in Manchester) departs St Andrews Bus Station at 21:30 and arrives in Leeds at approx 06:30 the following day.
- The indirect overnight coaches from Leeds to Edinburgh (1 change in Manchester) leaves Leeds Bus & Coach Station at 22:30 and arrives in Edinburgh at approx 07:30 the following day.
How long does it take to get from Leeds to Edinburgh by bus
The direct buses take 7 hours but the the non-direct Leeds to Edinburgh bus services to St Andrews Bus Station or Leeds Bus & Coach Station include waiting times in Manchester or Newcastle upon Tyne of 35-95 mins. Given the choice, always go for the direct coach services.
How much does the bus ticket from Leeds to Edinburgh cost
The Leeds - Edinburgh route is a National Express funfare route with bus fares for one-way journeys starting at £9-£12 (check availability now). These cheap bus tickets (non-refundable) are available only online when you book in advance. Funfare prices are only available on direct bus journeys, all the more reason to avoid the coaches which change in Manchester or Newcastle upon Tyne.
Make sure to book in advance for travel on busy periods like Bank Holidays, Half-Term, Christmas Holidays and New Year's.
National Express bus fares between Leeds and Edinburgh
The cheapest National Express tickets for the Leeds coach are NX funfare tickets but you need to book these in advance.
- Economy Apex single ticket: £42.20
- Standard single ticket: £42.20
- Best Deal, ideal for budget travellers - funfare ticket: from £9
- Standard return ticket: £58
- Best Deal, ideal for budget travellers - combined single NX funfare tickets (£18 cheapest)
NOTE: Ticket prices may change without notice. Please double check with the National Express for up to date coach fares.
Where does the bus between Leeds and Edinburgh stop
Stops for direct buses
This direct Leeds to Edinburgh bus goes via Darlington, Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne (coach station and Newcastle airport), Jedburgh, Melrose, Galashiels and Dalkeith. You can buy tickets for travel from any of these stops in Scotland or England to Leeds or Edinburgh.
Full itinerary: Leeds, Harewood, Harrogate, Ripon, Catterick, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle Upon Tyne (bus station and airport terminal building), Ponteland, Belsay, Capheaton, Kirkwhelpington, Knowesgate Hotel, Elsdon, Otterburn, Rochester, Rochester, Cottonshopeburn, Byrness, Catcleugh, Whiteleas, Carter Bar, Letham, Edgertson, Camptown, Jedforest, Ferniehurst, Ferniehirst Castle, Jedburgh, Melrose, Galashiels, Stow, Fountainhall, Heriot, Dalkeith, Edinburgh.
Stops for buses changing in Newcastle Upon Tyne
Leeds, Harewood, Harrogate, Ripon, Catterick, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle Upon Tyne (change at bus station), Morpeth, Alnwick, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Edinburgh.
Stops for buses changing in Manchester
Leeds, Bradford, Chadderton, New Moston, Failsworth, Miles Platting, Manchester (change at bus station), Salford, Preston, Lancaster, Carlisle, Glasgow, Edinburgh.
National Express coach services - Web links
Bus Tickets, Timetables and Journey Planner
Use the form to get timetables and tickets for coach trips from Leeds to Edinburgh or Edinburgh to Leeds and anywhere else in the UK. Alternatively, you can buy your ticket from St Andrews bus station or Leeds coach station. Remember that the cheapest Edinburgh - Leeds bus tickets (funfare offers) are available ONLY online.
Address of Leeds Bus & Coach Station
National Express Coach Station in Leeds
Postcode: LS2 7LA
Tel: +44 (113) 244 2886
Address of Edinburgh Bus Station
National Express Coach Station in Edinburgh
St Andrew's Square
Tel: +44 (131) 5556363
Tel: +44 (131) 2253858
No exact postcode has been found for St Andrew's Bus Station in Edinburgh