Stay at the Fountain Court Apartment
How Good Is This Modern 4-Star Serviced Apartment in Edinburgh?
Are you considering a stay at the Fountain Court EQ2 apartments in Edinburgh? These stylish and contemporary apartments are located in a trendy up-and-coming area close to the financial and business districts. The apartments are spacious and designed to a high-specification with state of the art technology to ensure a comfortable stay. But are these apartments a better choice than other luxury apartments or 5 star hotel accommodation close to the city centre? And are they good value for money?
I've read hundreds of reviews from guests who have stayed at the Fountain Court over the years and the following is a clear and unbiased summary of what these guests really thought of their stay at this townhouse apartment.
What's special about the Fountain Court Apartments?
- They offer versatile and spacious accommodation in the form of one to three bedroom apartments, with an open plan lounge and kitchen area.
- The apartments feature the latest technology such as an entertainment system, plasma TV and W-Fi, as well as all the facilities necessary for a comfortable stay.
- Location: These stylish aparthotels are located in an up-and-coming area in the West End of Edinburgh, near the West Meadows, not far from Morningside, overlooking the network of canals and surrounded by trendy bars and restaurants.
Read discounted room rates.
What do guests really think?
The vast majority of reviewers loved the spacious and modern accommodation and felt that it represented excellent value for money, especially for families when compared to booking two or more separate rooms in a 4-star hotel.
- Most reviewers absolutely loved the facilities of the Fountain Court Apartments and recommended them without reserve. Many said that they would be more than happy to return again.
- Some reviewers did mention that the apartments do become a little noisy at times, either from other guests or from the outside, but this would not deter them from returning.
- Many guests felt that the apartments gave them a sense of privacy and comfort and that they would not have been able to relax as well in a 5 star hotel.
- A few guests felt that the apartments are slightly too far away from the centre of Edinburgh and some felt they would not be comfortable walking there at night.
The reviews for the Fountain Court Apartments were consistently very good, with the majority of the guests saying that they are very good value for money. They do seem particularly suited to business travellers thanks to the on-site facilities and their location near the financial district, and also to groups of people travelling together.
However, Fountain Court EQ2 would be suitable for any traveller looking for a more relaxing home from home experience in top quality self-catering accommodation. My only reservation is that it may not be suited to people who prefer to be right in the city centre.
In Depth Review of the Fountain Court Apartments in Edinburgh
Contemporary serviced apartment. Located near the West Meadows, near the financial district.
Average room price per night: £120-£289 ($189-$454)
What is the Fountain Court Apartment like?
The Fountain Court Apartments EQ-2 are part of the renowned Fountain Court Apartment chain and offer high quality apartments set over six storeys. They are modern, comfortable and well maintained, and there were extremely few negative points made by the reviewers.
Building and room design
- There are 38 apartments, with one to three bedrooms and two or more bathrooms and a lounge / kitchen area, all in a contemporary design and decorated to the highest standards, complete with designer furniture.
- The lounge areas enjoy 42 inch flat screen TVs and are fitted with leather sofas and floor to ceiling windows, with many apartments offering stunning views over the canal or Edinburgh Castle.
- The reviewers agreed almost without exception that the apartments are spacious, clean, well maintained and exceptionally well equipped, although a couple of reviewers thought that the cleaning was not thorough enough.
- The apartments feature the latest technology including free WiFi and an entertainment system with surround sound. Many guests liked being able to listen to music or TV whilst in the shower!
- The kitchens are equipped with everything needed for self-catering such as a cooker, dishwasher, microwave, washing machine.
- A few guests mentioned that while they loved the fluffy towels and Egyptian cotton sheets, the beds themselves are quite uncomfortable.
Staff and level of service
- There were not many reviews of the level of service, as most seemed to concentrate on the rooms, locations and facilities.
- The few reviews did suggest, though, that the staff are efficient and helpful, although a couple of guests said that they are not always over friendly.
- There is daily maid service to clean the rooms and change the towels, and many reviewers commented that the apartments are immaculate.
Food and drink
- There are many stylish restaurants and bars right on the doorstep of the Fountain Court Apartments.
- Breakfast packs are available which are pre-ordered and many guests agreed that these were good quality.
- There are supermarkets located within a 2 to 3-minute walk of the apartments for those who wish to cater for themselves.
Location and parking
- The Fountain Court Apartments are situated in the West End of Edinburgh, close to the business and financial districts and a 15 to 20-minute walk from Princes Street.
- The area is undergoing regeneration and is fast becoming a trendy area of the city with trendy bars and restaurants right on the doorstep of the apartments.
- Some guests commented that there is still building work going on which detracts from the atmosphere of the area and also that the nearby area is fairly industrial but it is not clear if this is still the case.
- Some reviewers felt that they were a little too far from the attractions of Edinburgh, however this would not put most of them off from returning.
- A couple of reviewers raised questions on the safety of the immediate neighbourhood at night.
- Secure underground parking is available at a charge, which many reviewers appreciated, but this is limited and cannot be booked in advance.
- There are 2 cinemas and a bowling alley within a 5-minute walk.
- There is no minimum of nights per stay.
- Guests with children (or without!) can hire Nintendo Wii and Playstations from reception upon request.
- One frequent traveller mentioned that he is able to leave belongings with staff between stays although it is not known whether this is a regular practice.
- There is a discounted rate at the nearby Virgin gym a 5-minute walk away.