Stay at the Princes Street Suites Apartment
How Good Are These Modern, Luxury Self-Catering Apartments in Edinburgh?
Are you considering a stay at the Princes Street Suites apartments in Edinburgh? Situated in Waterloo Place, just off Princes Street, they are perfect for exploring the attractions of the centre. These contemporary apartments are spacious, light and airy, and contain everything you need for a comfortable stay in Edinburgh. But are Princes Street Suites a better choice than other 5-star hotels or apartments close to the city centre? And do they represent good value for money?
I've read hundreds of reviews from guests who have stayed at the Princes Street Suites over the years and the following is a clear and unbiased summary of what these guests really thought of their stay at this luxury city apartment.
What's special about the Princes Street Suites Apartments?
- There is a communal rooftop terrace with tables for alfresco dining which offers stunning views over Edinburgh..
- The apartments are stylish and contemporary, with spacious living accommodation and are equipped with everything needed for a short or longer stay in Edinburgh..
- There is a gym with bikes, weights and treadmills for those who want to keep fit during their stay!.
- Location: The location in Waterloo Place, an extension of Princes Street, is perfect for the shops, restaurants and attractions of the centre.
Read discounted room rates.
What do guests really think?
The majority of comments were extremely positive and most guests would return for a repeat stay or recommend the Princes Street Suites to others.
- Many absolutely loved the location just off Princes Street as they could easily explore the centre on foot.
- Many guests agreed that these apartments have the 'wow' factor..
- Most reviewers loved the rooftop terrace where they could chill out in the summer evenings..
- However many guests reported that while the apartments were well-equipped, there were many little touches missing..
- Even though some guests experienced minor problems, most said that it did not detract from the enjoyment of their stay.
- Many guests felt that it represented excellent value for money, especially those staying in larger groups.
The majority of reviews were extremely positive and most guests thoroughly enjoyed their stay at the Princes Street Suites. Although there were a few minor niggles or problems, this would not put most guests from returning in the future. I therefore have no hesitation in recommending the Princes Street Suites to add to your short-list of places to stay in Edinburgh if you are looking for the flexibility and independence that a serviced apartment offers.
In Depth Review of the Princes Street Suites Apartments in Edinburgh
Spacious and luxurious serviced apartment. Waterloo Place location, virtually on Princes Street.
Average room price per night: £92-£314 ($145-$493)
What is the Princes Street Suites Apartment like?
Princes Street Suites were originally built as residential apartments but are now used as serviced apartments for business or leisure travellers. They are stylish and contemporary apartments for both short-term and long-term visitors to Edinburgh.
Building and room design
- There are 37 apartments, with 1 to 3 bedrooms, plus a stunning penthouse suite, all with a separate lounge and kitchen and a dining area.
- The apartments are decorated and equipped to a high standard, with chic, contemporary design and furniture, and some enjoy a private balcony. Most reviewers loved the look and feel of the apartments.
- There were many comments that equipment which had been advertised on the website was not actually available in the apartments, such as washing machines. Note: the official website now states that washing machines are available on request.
- Some rooms enjoy excellent views over the city while others have no view and are somewhat darker.
- Some look out onto Calton Cemetery and while some reviewers did not like this, most were quite happy with the view. A couple of guests reported that these rooms can be noisy due to young people who gather in the cemetery at night to drink.
- Some guests did not like the fire safety doors in the apartments as they were very noisy and could be heard from other apartments.
- Many guests reported missing items, such as crockery, glasses and cutlery. Whether these had been taken by previous guests or just not provided is not known.
- There are quality Gilchrist and Soames toiletries supplied in the bathrooms, which many reviewers loved.
- Although the apartments are well-equipped, many reviewers felt that more thought could have been given to this area, as things such as dishwasher tablets, cleaning cloths, salt and pepper, toasters and frying pans were not supplied.
- Some reviewers did not like the fact that the announcements from Waverley station can be heard from some apartments. Others said that the street noise is very loud.
Staff and level of service
- Most guests agreed that the staff were very helpful and pleasant.
- There were a few problems reported of over-booking or mistakes with the booking, such as guests being given 1 bathroom apartments when 2 bathrooms had been requested.
- Some reviewers also reported that emails to the apartment, with questions before their stay or complaints or queries after their visit, went unanswered.
- Many guests agreed that the rooms are cleaned to a high standard, although others were less happy with the level of cleanliness.
- The official website states that light cleaning is carried out for short term guests and a full housekeeping service for longer term guests. Some short term guests felt that the light cleaning is not sufficient as it mainly consists of emptying the bin, making the beds and cleaning the bathroom.
- Some reviewers said that the cleaning staff come at inconvenient times or enter without waiting to be invited in.
- There is a minimum 2-night stay. The Suites also offer special themed packages such as art packages or whisky weekends amongst others.
- There are no dining facilities but there are plenty of good restaurants in the area.
- A breakfast pack is available at a charge, but there were not sufficient reviews to form an opinion.
- Essentials such as tea, coffee, long-life milk and sugar are supplied in each apartment.
- There are convenience food shops in Waterloo Place and at Waverley Station or supermarkets within a 10-minute walk.
- The apartments offer free Wi-Fi connection.
- There is a fitness room with weights, bikes and treadmills which is especially useful for those on extended business trips.
- The apartments are accessed with an electronic key for security, although there is a high charge for lost keys.
- Since the opening of the apartments there has been an on-going programme to improve the service and facilities offered.
Location and parking
- The apartments are extremely centrally located in Waterloo Place at the end of Princes Street, and many reviewers loved the fact that the restaurants, shops and attractions are all in easy reach.
- There are transfers available from Edinburgh airport at an extra cost.
- The apartments are a 5-minute walk from Waverley Station.
- There is no car-park at the Suites although discounted parking is available at Waverley Station. Many found this option expensive though.