Stay at the Royal Mile Residence Apartment
How Good Is This Luxurious Self-Catering Apartment in Edinburgh?
Are you considering a stay at the Royal Mile Residence apartments in Edinburgh? These luxurious apartments are equipped with all the mod cons and are located on the Royal Mile, right in the heart of the city centre. But is the Royal Mile Residence a better choice than other 5 star apartments and hotels close to the city centre? And is it good value for money?
I've read hundreds of reviews from guests who have stayed at the Royal Mile Residence over the years and the following is a clear and unbiased summary of what these guests really thought of their stay at this townhouse apartment.
What's special about the Royal Mile Residence Apartment?
- Guests have complimentary access to the Escape health Club and Spa, a short 5-minute walk away at the Scotsman Hotel.
- The apartments enjoy great views over Princes Street or the Royal Mile.
- The serviced apartments are comfortable and modern, offering spacious accommodation with one or two bedrooms, each with a separate lounge and kitchen.
- Location: These apartments are perfectly situated on the Royal Mile, with Edinburgh Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse a short walk away.
Read discounted room rates.
What do guests really think?
The majority of reviews were extremely positive and most guests would return to the Royal Mile Residence.
- Reviewers absolutely loved the central location as it is perfect for exploring the heart of Edinburgh and its historic attractions.
- Some did not like the fact that due to the nature of the old building, the apartments are accessed by steep and narrow steps and that reception is in a separate building a short walk away.
- Several reviewers accepted that there will be certain inconveniences with old buildings and these minor issues did not detract from the enjoyment of their stay at the Royal Mile Residence.
- Most reviewers loved the spaciousness and comfort of the guest apartments but there were several comments that suggested that they are in need of updating and some questioned whether it should have a 5-star rating.
Despite the issues reported, the majority of guests would return to the Royal Mile Residence apartments and would recommend them to others. Whilst acknowledging the quirks that are found in older buildings, the overall opinion was that the location and the independence that the apartments offered far outweighed any minor problems encountered.
The prices seem very reasonable for accommodation in Edinburgh city centre and I would recommend these apartments especially if you can find a good deal as they do seem to offer very good value for money for city centre serviced accommodation.
However, I would not recommend the Royal Mile Residence to people with mobility problems or young families with pushchair, although it is worth checking if there is easier access to the lower floors.
In Depth Review of the Royal Mile Residence Apartments in Edinburgh
Spacious and luxurious serviced apartment. Located on the Royal Mile close to the Bridges.
Average room price per night: £128-£250 ($201-$393)
What is the Royal Mile Residence Apartment like?
The Royal Mile Residence is a suite of contemporary serviced apartments right in the heart of historic Edinburgh, on the Royal Mile. They are spacious and well equipped, and while they do suffer some problems often found in old buildings, they seem to represent good value for money compared to many hotels in the area.
Building and room design
- The Royal Mile Residence is an old 5-storey converted Georgian building containing 2 penthouse suites, 5 two-bedroom apartments and 1 one-bedroom apartment, all with separate lounge and kitchen area.
- Some of the apartments overlook Princes Street while others have views over the Royal Mile. There were a few guests who said that the rooms can be very noisy especially in those overlooking the Royal Mile due to the old-style single glazing.
- The apartments are decorated in a modern contemporary style and many reviewers described the apartments as spacious and comfortable, however some said that they were scruffy and in need of redecoration.
- Due to the building being old there are some quirks that you would not find in a new build, such as the fact that there is no lift and rooms are accessed via an old turnpike staircase, which is very narrow and steep at times.
- Some reviewers complained about the climb to their rooms and a few even said it was dangerous and poorly lit, whilst others thought that it was worth the climb as they loved the apartments so much.
- Most guests described the apartments as clean, although some reported a damp smell and were not happy with the overall cleanliness.
- Some of the guests were not happy that reception is located in a youth hostel a short walk away.
- The rooms are fitted with everything necessary for a comfortable stay, with a fully equipped kitchen, a washer dryer, complimentary Wi-Fi.
- The bathrooms are spacious and well-decorated, but some guests reported a damp smell and mildew.
Staff and level of service
- Although reception is located a short walk away, many guests appreciated the fact that the reception staff cheerfully carried their suitcases up the narrow staircase and right to the apartments.
- There were many reviewers who described the staff as helpful and pleasant.
- The Royal Mile residence does not offer any dining facilities or bar, but there are many restaurants a short walk from the apartments.
- They also have an arrangement for a discounted breakfast at a nearby café a one-minute walk away which some guests appreciated.
- Weekend stays must be a minimum of two nights.
- Due to the design of the old building there is no reception at the Royal Mile Residence, and guests must check in at another address a short walk away. Many guests complained about this, as the reception is located in a backpackers' hostel and some felt that it was busy and even rowdy.
Location and parking
- The Royal Mile Residence is extremely central for the shops, restaurants and attractions of Edinburgh and its location was consistently mentioned by reviewers as its main strength with some even describing it as the best location in Edinburgh.
- There is no parking at the apartments themselves, but guests can park at the Radisson Hotel a 10-minute walk away. Some guests felt that this was not ideal, especially on arrival as they had to walk from their cars to the Backpackers Hostel to check in and then on to the apartments with their luggage. Some also said that the parking was very expensive.
- Guests receive a 10% discount at the nearby Cowshed Spa.
- The toiletries offered in the bathrooms are Molton brown, which many reviewers loved.
- The Royal Mile Residence offers free Wi-Fi to guests.