Glasgow to Edinburgh Train Timetable and Fares
Getting from Glasgow to Edinburgh and Back by Train
Updated September 2011
If Edinburgh is the historic capital of Scotland, then Glasgow is the modern and cosmopolitan capital of Scotland. Glasgow is renowned for its culture and fantastic nightlife and getting there by train is very easy. Getting the bus is cheaper with super singles from £1. See our Glasgow - Edinburgh bus page for tickets and times.
Tickets and timetables for trains from Glasgow to Edinburgh.
Cheap Flights to Edinburgh
Search and compare prices on cheap flights to Edinburgh from UK and US destinations.
selected from cheapflights.co.uk
Bus to Edinburgh
Book coach tickets to Edinburgh from £15. Guaranteed seats, overnight or daytime journeys.
selected from nationalexpress.com
Ghost Walks in Edinburgh
Book ghost, mystery & underground city tours, dramatised or realistic, from £7.50.
selected from viator.com
There are express trains running between Edinburgh and Glasgow at least every 15 minutes. The train journey takes about 45 minutes and takes you from Edinburgh Waverley (EDB) to Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ). The train station in Glasgow is very centrally located, right next to George Square while Edinburgh Waverley is right in the heart of Edinburgh.
The train stations in both cities offer a wide range of facilities including:
- Left Luggage
- Self-service Ticket machines for collecting tickets bought online. Located on the Station Concourse.
- Excellent public transport links to all areas of Glasgow and Edinburgh respectively
- Taxi rank outside train stations
- Frequent shuttle bus from Edinburgh Waverley bridge to Turnhouse Airport (tickets available from driver)
The express rail service from Edinburgh to Glasgow or from Glasgow to Edinburgh is particularly handy when you want to attend day events such as the World Pipe Band Championships, Celtic Connections, Edinburgh Military Tatto or other events and concerts in Scotland's largest cities as well as for business trips.
Edinburgh to Glasgow Trains Timetables
Edinburgh to Glasgow Timetables and Tickets
Buy tickets and get the latest train times for train journeys between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- The first train from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow departs at 05:55 am while the last train back departs Glasgow Queen Street at 11:30 pm, arriving in Edinburgh at 12:30 am approx.
- The first train from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh departs at 06:00 am while the last train back departs Edinburgh Waverley at 11:30 pm, arriving in Glasgow at 12:30 am approx.
Save up to 75% on Edinburgh and Glasgow Accommodation
Edinburgh Hotels and Apartments
Find good Edinburgh hotels and late availability accommodation deals.
Glasgow Hotels and Apartments
Find good Glasgow hotels and late availability accommodation deals.
» Back to Trains From Edinburgh guide index