London Train to Glasgow
Latest Glasgow - London Train Travel Information
Updated September 2011
You can travel by train from London's King Cross (KGX) or London Euston (EUS) direct to Glasgow Central (GLC), the main rail station in Glasgow using any of the frequent daytime trains (which run at least once an hour) or the convenient Caledonian Sleeper (overnight) service departing from London Euston (EUS) 6 nights a week.
Save up to 75% on good Glasgow Hotels near Central Train Station
Tickets and timetables for Best Fare Finder.
Instant fares for cheap flights from Glasgow to London.
You can buy your train ticket online (see above) and have it delivered to you the same or next day or have it ready for collection at the train station (be it in London or Glasgow).
- The daytime trains from London get you into Glasgow in 5 hours on average though the quickest journey can be as short as 4 hours 30 mins. Ticket prices start at £12.00 single if booked 8-12 weeks in advance. Cheap train tickets can also be found for £15, £16.50, £19.50 and £23 for single journey.
- The first daytime (weekday) train from London to Glasgow Central is at 5:47 am and the last evening train (excluding overnight services) departs London Euston at 6:40 pm.
- The first daytime (weekday) train from Glasgow to London is at 4:25 am and the last evening train (excluding overnight services) departs Glasgow Central at 7:30 pm.
- The journey on the Caledonian Sleeper overnight train connecting London to Glasgow lasts 7 hours 30 mins approx. It's ideal for business trips, short breaks and day trips and you save on both transport and accommodation. Bargain Berth prices start at £19 single.
- Caledonian Sleeper to Glasgow departs London Euston at 11:50 pm and arrives in Glasgow Central at 7:20 am approx.
- Caledonian Sleeper to London departs Glasgow Central at 11:40 pm and arrives in London at 6:50 am approx.
Choice of London to Glasgow train operators
You have a choice of two main train operators: Virgin Trains which take you to Glasgow via the West Coast and National Express East Coast (NXEC) which take you to Glasgow via the East Coast and Edinburgh. Given a choice, I would choose Virgin Trains for two reasons:
- Journeys using Virgin Trains from London Euston to Glasgow Central and return take an average of 4 hours 30 minutes, while journeys using National Express East Coast from London King's Cross to Glasgow Central take an average of 5 hours and 3 minutes. You basically save a whole hour by travelling with Virgin Trains (the time it takes to travel from Edinburgh to Glasgow).
- Virgin Trains offers better value tickets than National Express East Coast. The cheapest Virgin London-Glasgow single journey ticket starts at £12.00 whereas the cheapest NXEC London-Glasgow single journey ticket starts at £16.50. This is in part due to the extra distance from Edinburgh to Glasgow covered by National Express.
Tickets for Trains to Glasgow from London
Buying Cheap Train Tickets Online
The UK train ticket system is extremely complicated and finding the cheapest tickets can be frustrating and time consuming. Here are a series of invaluable tips on how to make considerable savings on train journeys between London and Glasgow:
- If finding the cheapest train tickets is more important to you than an exact travel date and time, then the Best Fare Finder gives you an instant list of the cheapest tickets available by day, week and month. You can view the lowest fares available each day for up to three months in advance!
- Advance single tickets are usually the cheapest option for travelling from London to Glasgow IF you book them far enough in advance (preferably 12 weeks in advance). Use the Cheap Ticket Alert Service to be notified by email the instant advance train tickets become available. The earlier you subscribe to the service, the more chance you have of being the first to snatch the cheapest tickets and make considerable savings.
- It may seem strange but two singles can be cheaper than a return ticket because often the top deals are available on one-way journeys. Simply search for return London - Glasgow tickets for your desired travel dates and look for the 2 singles could be cheaper alerts in the 'price and availability' section. You can save up to £200 on a London - Glasgow return trip!
- Cheap advance tickets can be bought as late as the night before you travel or even just before you leave for the station. So if, for example, you find out today that you have to travel to Glasgow or London tomorrow, keep checking on last minute fares and offers. You'd be surprised how much you can save using this simple technique!
Save up to 75% on Accommodation in Glasgow or London
Glasgow Hotels near Central Train Station
Discount Glasgow hotels and accommodation near Central train station.
London Hotels near Euston Train Station
Discount London hotels and accommodation near Euston train station.
London Hotels near King's Cross Train Station
Discount London hotels and accommodation near King's Cross train station.